Federal Court
Judgment· 17 January 2020
Elanco Canada Limited v. Canada (Health) Court (s) Database Federal Court Decisions Date 2020-01-17 Neutral citation 2020 FC 65 File numbers T-2092-17 Decision Content Date: 20200117 Docket: T-2092-17 Citation: 2020 FC 65 Ottawa, Ontario, January 17, 2020 PRESENT: Madam Justice McDonald BETWEEN:
ELANCO CANADA LIMITED Applicant and CANADA (MINISTER OF HEALTH) Respondent
ORDER AND REASONS [1] By Confidential Judgment and Reasons issued on November 19, 2019, 2019 FC 1455, Elanco Canada Limited (Elanco) was successful in its section 44 Access to Information Act, RSC, 1985, c A-1 [ATIA] judicial review application requesting that Health Canada be prohibited from disclosing information about Fortekor, a veterinary medication. [2] Upon the issuance of the Judgment, the parties were advised that if they could not agree on costs, they could make submissions. [3] In their submissions, Elanco requests a lump sum payment of $21,760.65 for legal fees and disbursements based upon Tariff B, Column V of the Federal Courts Rules. In requesting a lump sum, Elanco relies upon Nova Chemicals v Dow Chemical Company, 2017 FCA 25. They argue that they seek the higher Column V measure of costs on the basis of the outcome of the application, the complexity of the issues, and the conduct of Health Canada which, it says, lengthened the litigation. [4] Elanco argues that the Rule 400(3) of the Federal Courts Rules, factors mitigate in favour of costs based upon Column V of Tariff B, and they further note that the costs requested represent a fraction of the fees actually incurred by Elanco. Elanco relies on Eurocoptor v Bell Helicopter Texton Canada Limitée, 2012 FC 842, at para 20, for its position that the complexity of the matter should be determinative of the scale
of costs to be applied. [5] Health Canada disagrees with the amount requested, and argues that there is no basis to depart from the default application of Column III of Tariff B (Apotex Inc v Merck & Co, 2006 FCA 324 at para 15). [6] Health Canada argues that this was a typical section 44 judicial review application and it denies any conduct on its behalf that lengthened the litigation. With respect to the actual fess claimed by Elanco, Health Canada takes issue with the costs claimed for amending documents, attendance at a conference, second counsel fee and charges for costs submissions. [7] Health Canada submits that the appropriate amount, following an adjustment for these deductions, based upon Tariff B Column III calculation, is $6,596.40. [8] Each party has prepared a draft Bill of Costs in support of its position. [9] Having reviewed and considered the submissions of Elanco and Health Canada, and having considered the Rule 400(3) factors, and taking guidance Column III of Tariff B, and exercising my discretion, I award costs to Elanco in the amount of $12,900.00 inclusive of disbursements. ORDER in T-2092-17 THIS COURT’S JUDGMENT is that Health Canada will pay Elanco Canada Limited costs and disbursements in the all inclusive amount of $12,900.00. "Ann Marie McDonald" Judge
FEDERAL COURT
SOLICITORS OF RECORD DOCKET: T-2092 STYLE OF CAUSE: ELANCO CANADA LIMITED v CANADA (MINISTER OF HEALTH) PLACE OF HEARING: Toronto, Ontario DATE OF HEARING: August 20, 2019 ORDER AND REASONS: MCDONALD J. DATED: January 17, 2020 APPEARANCES: Alex D. Cameron Pavel Sergeyev For The Applicant Sadian Campbell For The Respondent SOLICITORS OF RECORD: Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP Toronto, Ontario For The Applicant Attorney General of Canada Department of Justice Toronto, Ontario For The Respondent