Supreme Court of Canada
Judgment· 13 April 2021
R. v. Ghotra Collection Supreme Court Judgments Date 2021-04-13 Neutral citation 2021 SCC 12 Report [2021] 1 SCR 521 Case number 39215 Judges Wagner, Richard; Abella, Rosalie Silberman; Moldaver, Michael J.; Karakatsanis, Andromache; Côté, Suzanne; Brown, Russell; Rowe, Malcolm On appeal from Ontario Notes SCC Case Information Decision Content
SUPREME COURT OF CANADA Citation: R. v. Ghotra, 2021 SCC 12, [2021] 1 S.C.R. 521 Appeal Heard: April 13, 2021 Judgment Rendered: April 13, 2021 Docket: 39215 Between: Akash Ghotra Appellant and Her Majesty The Queen Respondent - and - Canadian Civil Liberties Association, British Columbia Civil Liberties Association and Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario Interveners Coram: Wagner C.J. and Abella, Moldaver, Karakatsanis, Côté, Brown and Rowe JJ. Unanimous Judgment Read By: (para.
1) Wagner C.J. Akash Ghotra Appellant v. Her Majesty The Queen Respondent and Canadian Civil Liberties Association, British Columbia Civil Liberties Association and Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario Interveners Indexed as: R. v. Ghotra 2021 SCC 12 File No.: 39215. 2021: April 13. Present: Wagner C.J. and Abella, Moldaver, Karakatsanis, Côté, Brown and Rowe JJ. on appeal from the court of appeal for ontario Criminal law — Abuse of process — Entrapment — Internet child luring — Accused starting conversation in internet chat room with undercover police officer posing as underage girl — Accused proposing that they meet for sex and later arrested at meeting place — Accused convicted of internet child luring at trial but applying for stay of proceedings based on entrapment — Trial judge concluding that officer did not provide opportunity to commit offence and dismissing application — Majority of Court of Appeal dismissing accused’s appeal — Conviction upheld. APPEAL from a judgment of the Ontario Court of Appeal (Hourigan, Miller and Nordheimer JJ.A.), 2020 ONCA 373, 388 C.C.C. (3d) 416, 455 D.L.R. (4th) 586, 464 C.R.R. (2d) 83, [2020] O.J. No. 2650 (QL), 2020 CarswellOnt 8060 (WL Can.), affirming the conviction entered by Durno J., [2016] O.J. No. 7161 (QL), and the dismissal of the application for a stay of proceedings, 2016 ONSC 5675, 342 C.C.C. (3d) 128, 33 C.R. (7th) 98,
[2016] O.J. No. 4761 (QL), 2016 CarswellOnt 14383 (WL Can.). Appeal dismissed. Alan D. Gold, for the appellant. Katie Doherty, for the respondent. Danielle Glatt, for the intervener the Canadian Civil Liberties Association. Gerald Chan, for the intervener the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association. Michael W. Lacy, for the intervener the Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario. The judgment of the Court was delivered orally by [1] The Chief Justice — We are all of the view to dismiss the appeal for the reasons of Justice Miller of the Ontario Court of Appeal. Judgment accordingly. Solicitors for the appellant: Alan D. Gold Professional Corporation, Toronto. Solicitor for the respondent: Attorney General of Ontario, Toronto. Solicitors for the intervener the Canadian Civil Liberties Association: Paliare Roland Rosenberg Rothstein, Toronto. Solicitors for the intervener the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association: Stockwoods, Toronto. Solicitors for the intervener the Criminal Lawyers’ Association of Ontario: Brauti Thorning, Toronto.